Tuesday, August 26, 2014

What kind of soil should I buy?

Black Gold Cactus Soil
With succulents it is extremely important that you use a very fast draining soil. When I first started collecting succulents, I read that I could buy "any cactus soil" or that it would be extremely easy to make my own. But I've found that all the cactus soils in the stores are NOT made the same. And make my own soil? There are so many different recipes out there, and each one calls for so many different ingredients. Just doing research on the internet made my head spin and made me feel extremely overwhelmed. I'll just stick to buying soil for now.

So which soil should you buy? I personally use the Black Gold brand of Cactus Mix. Black Gold is a completely organic soil, and is extremely porous and fast draining. One thing I love about this soil is unlike most soils, even when it is damp, you can pick it up and the soil will just crumble apart as your sprinkle it through your hands. Black Gold states that their cactus mix "contains a balanced blend of perlite/pumice, earthworm castings and compost to encourage healthy growth while ensuring ample aeration and drainage that most cacti, bromeliads and succulents require to thrive."  I find Black Gold mix at Orchard Hardware Supply, but it may not be sold in all areas.

If Black Gold is not in your area, or you prefer to use a different brand or make your own, here is a huge tip to make sure the soil is right for your succulents:

The water should completely drain through your soil in 15 seconds. If you do not see any water coming out of the bottom drains in 15 seconds or less, the soil you are using is too dense and is retaining too much water.

In nature, succulents grow in rocky terrain or in the desert. The areas they grow in drain very quickly and do not retain moisture, and succulents have developed ways to survive in this environment. When the soil does not drain fast enough, this can lead to root rot, crown rot, or bugs. Also, the faster the soil drains, the less chance you have of over-watering your plants!! This is extremely important for those of us who are at risk of killing our plants because we 'love them too much'.

It took me a few different soil purchases* before I found the one I love, but once you find the right soil for your plants you will know immediately. And it will make all the difference to the happiness of your plants. :)

(*Note: The first soil I bought was Miracle Grow's brand of Cactus Soil and I recommend NOT using that soil. Miracle Grow's brand retains too much moisture and often stays overly damp for days at a time. I had to replant all of the succulents that were originally planted in the Miracle Grow's soil. I recommend staying away from that brand, at least until they figure out a better recipe for faster draining soil. )

No comments:

Post a Comment